BIM 360 Glue includes three main components:
- BIM 360 Glue application
- add-ins modules for Revit, AutoCAD, and Navisworks that upload models to the BIM 360 Glue cloud service
- BIM 360 Glue mobile viewer app
BIM 360 Glue Application
The BIM 360 Glue application is a small, Java-based program that can be installed on most any computer running the Windows operating system, including desktops, laptops, or Macs (using Parallels or Bootcamp).
Many of the features and ways of working in Glue will be very familiar if you have used Autodesk Navisworks Manage. You can:
- Integrate and merge models from diverse model creation environments
- View and navigate through the merged models
- Save specific viewpoints and add mark-ups
- Run clash detection tests and track/manage the clashes found
The big difference is that in Glue the merged model lives in the cloud. And this cloud-based approach offers two key advantages:
- All project participants can explore and work with the cloud-based model using lightweight tools, rather than having to install the Navisworks software on their own computers.
- All participants immediately have access to the latest version of models uploaded to Glue, rather than needing to track, download, and update the files as versions get updated.
Glue extends the Navisworks functionality by adding a layer of support for the process of managing and tracking issues found in a project. You can share easily issues with other Glue users using email messages, and these messages include links to quickly open saved viewpoints in the cloud-based model – so, recipients can clearly see the issues and act on them.
Glue can also serve as a file sharing environment (similar to an FTP server), but this isn’t it’s primary focus. Users can upload or drag-and-drop many additional file types (for example, SketchUp models and image files) into the Glue file browser to share them, and these file can be viewed, marked-up with issues, and downloaded by other users. But these additional file types cannot be used for clash detection – that’s reserved for Revit, AutoCAD, and Navisworks files.
BIM 360 Glue Add-Ins for Model Creation/Editing Applications
BIM 360 Glue provides several add-ins to help users easily upload their model files to the cloud. These add-ins are available for:
- Autodesk Revit 2010 thru 2015
- AutoCAD 2012 thru 2015
- Autodesk Navisworks 2012 thru 2015
The 2015 versions of the add-ins are automatically installed as part of the Revit 2015, Navisworks 2015, or AutoCAD 2015 installations. Older versions of the add-ins can be downloaded at: https://bim360.autodesk.com/addins/addins.html
BIM 360 Glue Mobile Application
BIM 360 Glue also provides a mobile application for viewing and navigating through merged models on mobile devices, such as an iPad tablet. This application includes a unique gyroscopic navigation mode for immersive reality viewing.
The BIM 360 Glue Mobile application is currently available only for iPad devices, and you can download it from the iOS Store.