What are the primary goals of creating a building model? Who are the key stakeholders?
- What do they need?
- What do they care about most?
The stakeholders are the designers (us!), owners, GCs, and more. The goal of these stakeholders is to ensure an accurate design to produce strong estimates of cost and time. If the parameters are inaccurate there may be cascading impacts on the build process.
How much detail should you include in your building model? How do you decide?
- As you develop your initial design?
- As you continue to iterate and develop on your design?
- What are the key stages?
- And how much detail should you include at each stage?
How much detail should you include about the composition (layers, materials, thicknesses) of your wall, floor, and roof assemblies at different stages of your design process?
- Conceptual design
- Preliminary design
- Design development
- Construction documentation
Many door and window manufacturers provide Revit families for doors and windows that you can specify for your building design.
- What is the advantage to manufacturers for providing these families? (it's not free to create and provide them...)
- What is the benefit to you as the designer of using these manufacturer-provided families? Is there an advantage to using them versus the families provided in the Revit library?
It is advantageous as designers will now see windows and doors available on the market to sell. If instead a designer was using a mock window the measurements presented on Revit Componet Library the designer can not ensure precision during the build. If instead the designer uses a manufacture window in the design they are more likely to purchase that design for the building. Therefore the company may sell more and the designer can feel confident in the design.
What are the advantages of getting the Revit component families (for furniture, equipment, and fittings) directly from the manufacturer versus from an online sharing website like RevitCity.com?
The designers can ensure that the specifications and measurements are accurate. If they come from on-line someone may upload a similar design that has inaccurate measurements.