What are the principal advantages of creating a conceptual design model using masses before diving into the detailed design and building element modeling?
To decrease design time by working out what the model will look like before spending time with tedious design details. A conceptual model can also be approved as a early initial design rather than spending painstaking time and money that may not be approved by the owner.
Should all buildings be modeled first using conceptual masses?
Large projects with intresting/unique forms. This may not be needed when the project is traditional and small as existing work can be used as a template more or less.
Can you think of any examples of a real building around the world that most likely was created by exploring the form using conceptual mass models?
Please post and share images of these examples to this Notion page.
How would you abstract the essential form of these famous buildings using conceptual mass elements that you can create in Revit?
- One World Trade Center: https://www.archdaily.com/795277/one-world-trade-center-som
- CMG Headquarters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMG_Headquarters#/media/File:China_Central_Television_Headquarters_2.jpg
- Twisting torso: https://www.archdaily.com/771471/santiago-calatravas-turning-torso-wins-ctbuhs-10-year-award
- Apple campus: https://www.archdaily.com/804970/apple-campus-2-held-to-fantastical-standard-of-detail-new-report-reveals
- Salesforce tower: https://www.archdaily.com/889519/salesforce-tower-pelli-clarke-pelli-architects