Module 5 - Points to Ponder
J. Nicolás Rendic
Please share your comments on 2 of the following Points to Ponder questions. (Choose 2 of the questions below.)
What are the principal advantages of using a single building information model of the existing conditions as the foundation for modeling proposed additions or renovations?
- The main advantage is the integration of the information. If we had an existing building model, and we use it to build a new model that considers the additions, any required modification on the original one, would require us to modify the second one. It would require a higher amount of work to keep both models coordinated, which would also make the situation more prone to human errors. By having a single model, the changes get applied automatically in all scenarios.
What sort of complexities are introduced when you construct a building complex in phases?
- What happens at the interfaces between the buildings as the phases advance?
- How can you plan and prepare for these complexities as your create your initial building model?
What are the principal advantages of using a single building information model of the existing conditions as the foundation for modeling several proposed design alternatives for a portion of the building?
- Why not create a separate model for each of the design alternatives?
In your project, which features of the proposed design did you choose to model as design alternatives?
- In first place I chose as an alternative the size of the meeting rooms. The first alternative considered a uniform mid size for the rooms, and a second one considered multiple sizes, providing big, small and cubicle-sized rooms for study or meeting. In second place I chose the furniture of the collaborative workspace, which is though as the core of the building, so having different alternatives of furniture distribution is importante to ensure that the environment will promote collaboration between the students.