The focus of this exercise is to explore how the features of a building’s envelope affect the predicted energy performance.
Use this Revit model as the starting point for this exercise:
This early version of a building model for a proposed design includes these building elements:
- Generic Walls (with no windows)
- Hallway Walls & Stairs
Your goal for this exercise is to use the Insight web interface to find a combination of settings for building envelope-related design factors to deliver a Predicted Mean EUI of 54 kBtu/ft2/yr or lower.
- Analyze the Initial Building Model
- Open the provided building model in Revit and use the Generate Insights tool to send it to the Insight web interface.
- Open the Settings pane in the Insight web interface and choose to report the results in Imperial Units (kBtu/ft2/yr) and display the values as Energy Use Intensity (EUI). For comparison, the starting Predicted Mean EUI should be reported to be around 81.3 kBtu/ft2/yr.
- Open the Insight in the web interface, and set the these values as baseline assumptions:
- Operating Schedule to 12/5
- Roof Construction to R38
- Save the settings as a Scenario, so you can easily return to them.
- Use Insight to Explore the Impact of Building Envelope-Related Design Decisions
- Use the Insight Factor tiles to find a combination that will deliver the target Predicted Mean EUI of 54 kBtu/ft2/yr or lower.
- Consider these Factors:
- Thermal Properties of Wall Surface (Wall Construction) for all orientations
- Glazing % (Window-to-Wall Ratio) for each orientation (North, South, East, West)
- Thermal Properties of Glazing Surfaces for each orientation
- Window Shading amount for each orientation
- Use Insight to Explore the Potential Impact of Power and Lighting Measures (versus Building Envelope Measures)
- Use the Insight Factor tiles to explore the impact of:
- Plug Load Efficiency (the equipment and appliances that draw power)
- Lighting Efficiency (based on the efficiency of the lighting fixtures)
- Daylighting & Occupancy Controls
- How low can you drive the Predicted Mean EUI by adding these power and lighting measures to your recommended building envelope choices?.
- Use Insight to Explore the Benefits of Adding Photovoltaic Panels to Your Design
- Use the Insight Factor tiles to explore the impact of Photovoltaic Panels, varying the:
- Surface Coverage
- Panel Efficiency
- Payback Limit (how many years you will allow for the panels to pay for themselves
- How low can you drive the Predicted Mean EUI by adding these Photovoltaic panel measures to your overall design strategy?
What to Submit
- Your best result Predicted Mean EUI achievable for each of the three test cases outlined above:
- achievable through building envelope choices
- achievable through building envelope + power & lighting choices
- achievable through adding Photovoltaic panels to the mix.
- For each test case:
- include a screenshot from Insight showing the Predicted Mean EUI and the range of values resulting from your assumptions. For example:
- include a listing of your recommended settings to achieve this result.
Click the + New Button and add a card for your building envelope recommendations to this gallery. Tips for Editing: - If you don’t see the + New button, click the Edit button in the toolbar at the top of this page. - If you can’t edit your new page, click the “Open as page” link at the top of the page.