Journal Entry For
Module 7 - Building Envelope Systems
ACC Folder Link
Feb 5, 2022 5:46 PM
Feb 14, 2022 5:15 AM
- Roof features:
- Steel Truss- Insulation on Metal Deck - EPDM
- Wall Surfaces features:
- Basic Wall Exterior - EIFS on Mtl. Stud
- I increased the EIFS insulation by 1” and I choose this because of the high R value and I did some reading on EIFS and its supposed to be sustainable and has decreased weight.
- https://www.wbdg.org/resources/eifs-architecture-and-sustainable-design-revolution#:~:text=Replacing a 100%2C000 ft² brick,and the cost of construction.
- Floor features:
- Steel Bar Joist 14” - VCT on Concrete
- I switched the VCT to precast concrete to increase the R value and durability.
- Window, Glazing, and Skylight features:
- Southern: 61%, Northern: 36%, Western: 9%, Eastern: 50%
- Usually WWR is best at 0% on insight, so I decided that if the difference between my actual and 0% weren’t that much that I would leave the glazing the way it was.
- One added on the 3rd floor roof over the stairs and two added on the 2nd floor roof above the exhibits to increase passive lighting. When I did the lighting analysis I realized the northern (rounded) side of my building was very dark. But I also kept it minimal as to not decrease space available for solar panels.
- Southern and Northern Glazing/Windows - I made these choices based on my Insight results:
- Eastern and Western Glazing/Windows - I made these choices based on my insight findings/results:
- Greenhouse Glazing:
- Suggestions: The thicker the better (more insulation), no LoE, light transmittance of 77% and R value of 2.6
- Actual: Triple Glazing 1/4
I will say, I thought I created all these different features. But every time I changed one panel, all of the systems changed. I’m not sure what I did wrong or what I need to do so that each side gets different settings. But these are my desired glazing properties.
- Shading Features
- 6’ roof overhang on the 2nd floor southern exterior
- 5’ roof overhang on the 3rd floor southern exterior and small eastern section.
- Window Shades: My analysis on insight showed that there wouldn’t be much of a difference if I added window shades, so I did not.
- Every time I tried changing the wall type it would delete my roof. - I wasn’t sure what to do so it remained as a generic concrete wall. This happened with another wall section on the North side.
- Also, I placed walls using the wrong location line and when I tried to fix it they still looked the same. I wasn’t sure how to fix it so I left it alone.