My knowledge on HVAC system was so limited I did not know where to begin so started by thinking about the strategy used in the Y2E2 building. Since there is such a great example of a sustainable building so close to the Dish site, I chose to take advantage from it and learn about possible option. Talking to Glenn, I was able to identify the radiant heating used in the floors and chilled active beams above.
I then started thinking about my particular building. Think about the climate at Stanford, most of the year requires cooling but few months require heating. Moreover, there is a pretty significant oscillation of temperature between the day and night. This building, due to use and location (dish area has restricted hours) will only be used during the day. Furthermore, due to the large display of curtain walls (despite the roof overhang in South) are also a source of heat. Thus, only cooling is necessary throughout the building, except for storage and mechanical rooms which can be unconditioned.
I decided to adopt an air-based system and here is a bit of what I did:
There is definitely so much to improve. I chose to model only two zones however they did not connect with the mechanical room which is where the air handlers were placed so those were not connected. Furthermore, I developed a pretty webbed system that covered a great majority of the area however might have been better to split these and have the in/out systems be separate.
Here is my space schedule:
In order to calculate the loads the two most important factors which I had to manipulate were the number of people according to specific use and the windows and glazing factor.
Lastly, in order to allow for ventilation, I edited my architectural model and added horizontal mullion grids in curtain walls and made the top panels awning windows: