What are the primary goals of creating a building model? Who are the key stakeholders?
- What do they need?
- What do they care about most?
The goal of creating a model is to compile a client's desires and vision for their new construction and to model it accordingly for review. One can visualize the product before committing to a long-term purchase. Stakeholders include clients, construction, inspectors, investors, family, and local government. Each party has different things they care about, but a commonality is to ensure the feasibility and outcomes of the project.
How much detail should you include in your building model? How do you decide?
- As you develop your initial design?
- As you continue to iterate and develop on your design?
- What are the key stages?
- And how much detail should you include at each stage?
How much detail should you include about the composition (layers, materials, thicknesses) of your wall, floor, and roof assemblies at different stages of your design process?
- Conceptual design
- Preliminary design
- Design development
- Construction documentation
The amount of detail that depends on what the desired end goal of the project is. If you are in the very preliminary stages of design where just the overall structure and design are required, less effort will go into displaying the details and intricacies. However if you are in the final stage where the project is ready for construction, all final details may be necessary.
Many door and window manufacturers provide Revit families for doors and windows that you can specify for your building design.
- What is the advantage to manufacturers for providing these families? (it's not free to create and provide them...)
- What is the benefit to you as the designer of using these manufacturer-provided families? Is there an advantage to using them versus the families provided in the Revit library?
What are the advantages of getting the Revit component families (for furniture, equipment, and fittings) directly from the manufacturer versus from an online sharing website like RevitCity.com?
The advantages are that the details are accurate to reality and up to current standards. It allows for the model to have a realistic depiction of what is out there in reality. In addition, it provides many more options for accessories, furniture, equipment etc. for the model to optimize for style.