Installing Autodesk Revit
- Login to the Autodesk Education Community website at https://www.autodesk.com/education/students from within your Windows environment.
- Scroll down to the Confirm your eligibility to access the Autodesk Education plan section in the middle of the page, then click the Get Products button.
- Click the Sign in link and sign in using your Autodesk ID.
- Then, scroll down in the list of available products and click the Get Started or Get Product link in the Revit tile.
- Sign in using your Autodesk ID, then select:
- Platform: Windows
- Version: 2021
- Language: Your preferred language
- Autodesk no longer issues product keys with each installation. Instead, you will sign in using your Autodesk ID when you open the Revit application to activate your copy.
- Click the Install or Download button.
If you receive an error message indicating that the software could not be installed automatically (typically due to network or firewall issues), you may need to download the installer file and run it manually. If that happens, return to this Software Downloads site, and choose the Download Now option from the pull-down menu to download the installation files using the Autodesk Download Manager. When the download is completed, the installer should automatically open.
- Accept the default installation options, and wait patiently as the application installs all the needed software components including the Revit Content Libraries. WAIT PATIENTLY -- this step can take up to an hour to complete.
Don't give up if it seems that the installer is stalled -- especially during the step that installs the Revit Content Libraries. A complete new installation can take up to 60 minutes or even longer depending on the speed of your network connection.
- When you launch the Autodesk Revit 2021 application for the first time, you will be prompted to sign in using your Autodesk ID.
Your eligibility to use the software will be confirmed and the software will be activated.
- IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL STEP 1: Install the Autodesk Sample Content Libraries
Revit 2021 does NOT install the Autodesk Sample Content Libraries as part of the default installation, so you should complete this additional step to install the full library of sample Revit families.
- Open the Revit 2021 Application.
- Switch to the Insert tab in the ribbon, and open the Get Autodesk Content tool (Insert > Load from Library > Get Autodesk Content Tool).
- Download and install the sample content libraries for your preferred language and unit system. For example, in the US, you would download:
- IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL STEP 2: Install Any Updates
After installing Autodesk Revit 2021, be sure to run the Autodesk Desktop App from the Autodesk folder in your Start menu to install the latest product updates.
- Go to the Updates tab and click ALL of the Update buttons to install ALL of the Revit 2021-related product updates and Revit extensions.
- If your software is already up-to-date, the list of available updates may be empty.
- When installing updates, you should close the Revit application before attempting to install them.