ACC Folder Link
Link to Student
Journal Entry For
Module 7 - Study Your Options
Step 1 - Generative Design Framework
For my generative design framework I decided to into surface area vs. sun radiation.
- Things the analysis can evaluate
- Max amount of shade
- Material sun damage
- Facade fading, paint cracking, and etc..
- Optimal umbrella geometry/shape
- Design Decision 1
- Two concentric circles
- Concentric circle 1 controls the base of my umbrella
- Concentric circle 2 controls the midpoint of my umbrella
- Maximize surface area and minimize sun radiation
- I input the value for area and sun radiation and subtracted them to create a function for fitness that lets me optimize my design.
- Most Important Tradeoffs to Consider
- As surface area goes up sun radiation naturally goes up
- The goal of the optimization is to find a good balance between the two
- Given that my structure is an umbrella more surface area would provide more shade
Step 2 - Generative Design Study
- I took the area of my surface and subtracted my sun radiation value.
- First I took my old umbrella structure which already calculated a surface area
- Next I created sun radiation measurements using ladybug tools
- By doing this I created a function that would let me get an optimum design that maximizes surface area and minimizes sun radiation when I set Galapagos to maximize.
Step 3 - Generative Design Study Results
- Below are the plots that analyze the surface area vs. sun radiation optimization of my building
- The bottom right shows that values of each iteration with the top being the most optimal
- This tool can be use to “reinstate” or look at other iterations that may be close to the optimal design
- The scatter plot on the bottom left shows how similar the iterations were
- Since the scatter plot is not condensed, there were a wide range of designs to consider
- This is probably since the maximizing surface area contradicts minimizing sun radiation
- The line graph on top is a fitness vs time graph which shows different fitness values as more iterations were analyzed
- The higher the fitness the more optimal it is
- The middle line graph is a multidimensional point graph that shows how the genome sliders are being manipulated
- ie: if slider 1 is high and slider 2 is low the line slopes down on that iteration