Who Did You Interview?
Demographics That Might Provide Helpful Context for Their Responses
- 16 years old
- Multi-sport athlete
- Upper-middle class family with one older brother
- Wants to pursue chemical engineering
Key Findings from the Interview
- Plays baseball and runs cross country; understands that sports can be wasteful but doesn't really see what could be done about it
- When asked if there are any opportunities he sees for recycling in sports, the first thing that came to his mind was running shoes. He has seen a drop box at the Nike store where you can give your old athletic shoes to be recycled into blacktop materials, and he thinks that this is a concept that could be greatly expanded.
- He also adds that a growing problem is how baseballs often get lost outside of fields, and they are not biodegradable, basically leaving litter in the wild.