My name is Carrie!
I hope you’re having a good day. 🙂
I’m a first-year masters student studying structural engineering! I studied Civil Engineering and Architectural Studies with a minor in Math at Northeastern University in Boston, where I’m originally from! You can read all about me below.
I feel like I have a lot of interests and could talk about them for days, so I’ll try to be brief and just give you a couple of lists that I think summarize what’s important:
Here’s a list of random things I like (regardless of if I’m good at them):
- Ice skating
- Rock climbing
- Cooking and eating with other people
- Board games (Favorites include: Catan, Clue, Codenames, Big Two, Connect 4, etc.)
- Making things!
- Random YouTube videos about animals and their behavior (e.g. orcas, hippos, polar bears, octopi, etc.)
- Climbing Trees
- Traveling (but I have a preference for traveling for longer durations. I really like to understand what it’s like to live in another place. I’ve been lucky enough to have had studied abroad twice!)
Here’s a list of hot takes I have:
- Milk in the bowl before cereal
- Cheese just isn’t that good
- Breakfast foods in general just aren’t it for me
- Air fried kale —> great in salads
Here’s a list of random facts about me:
- I’m making it a goal to cook with and or eat with a different person each week this quarter, so if you’re interested in grabbing a meal, let me know!
- Taylor Swift <3
- I’ve recently been making my own granola
- I have a wall of sticky notes in my room where I can keep track of how I’m feeling every now and then!
I’ve had a couple of professional work experiences, including two structural internships with Walker Consultants and WSP and an architectural internship with E4H Architecture. I’m excited to say that I’ll be working at Bjarke Ingels Group in Copenhagen this summer!
I would say that in my experience, I’ve gotten really familiar with Revit. I feel very comfortable using the program, but I’m relatively new to Dynamo! I’ve also gotten to know some Rhino from my architecture studios, so I’d be interested in learning Grasshopper as well 🙂
If you need to know more about me in a professional setting, check out my website!
Goals for This Class
I’ve been interested in coding optimization, both in graphic block coding languages and in traditional code like python and C++, for a really long time! I’ve had an interest in it since my sophomore year of undergrad, but I never felt like I had the time to sit down and learn how to do it. I’m very excited for this upcoming semester because I’ll be taking this class and the AA222 Engineering Design Optimization course!