(note: for some of them, i wasn’t able to type as i was interviewing, so i just needed to take brief notes based on what i remembered)
Who Did You Interview?
- school friend
Demographics That Might Provide Helpful Context for Their Responses
- Rising senior
- Pretty wealthy, lives in big house, etc
Key Findings from the Interview
- What apps do you use (apart from messages, email, games, etc) that impact your day to day life? How do they change your actions (ex. Do you use a GPS every day? etc)?
- She said she uses Spotify, youtube, Netflix, and Viki (at least those were the ones she could remember offhand)
- She said they changed her actions because she didn’t need to specifically buy shows or music, and could stream basically anything from anywhere with internet
- Why do you use this app? Do you find it easy to use?
- (she decided to focus on Netflix here because she said she uses it “too much”)
- She said that they have the most of the shows that she wants to watch on there, and that she has access to the same shows her friends recommend
- What problems do those apps address in your life?
- She said that she doesn’t need to buy DVDs to watch shows or wait for them to be updated on cable each week, she can watch them whenever conveniently
- What do the services or apps do very well?
- She said she likes the sectioning of the shows and movies into categories by genre (sometimes super specific genre)
- What don't they do very well that you'd like to improve?
- She said that she would like to be able to watch stuff that is available elsewhere without using VPN (so she would prefer if all the shows available on Netflix to certain countries only should be made available everywhere)
- Do you use any sustainability related apps? If so, what are they?
- She says that the only thing she can think of was MobileServe, which is a place to track volunteer hours; since most of her volunteering is environmental related, that counts for her
- Can you come up with any ideas of sustainability-related online services or apps you need? What types of apps would be most beneficial to the environment that you think you would actually use?
- She said that she would want something easy and fun to use rather than something clunky or complicated