Please describe a domain or an area of opportunity that you’d like to use as the focus for the design of a PRODUCT, SERVICE, or BUILT FEATURE that supports or promotes sustainable behaviors and practices for INDIVIDUALS in day-to-day use.
For this first design project, focus your thinking on:
- a PRODUCT -- something physical that can be manufactured, distributed, purchased, and potentially held in your hand or carried with you.
- a SERVICE or APPLICATION -- something that you can order, subscribe to, or use (in-person or online) -- that will support and promote the sustainability and resilience goals of your potential users.
- a SPACE, PLACE, or BUILDING FEATURE — that supports or promotes sustainability in the day-to-day activities of individual users.
Please share your initial thoughts in a few paragraphs below…
The domain that I’d like to focus on is….
Improving awareness and allowing for more conscious consumption when it comes to fast fashion.
- How can we incite consumers to make more conscious decisions when buying clothes?
Sustainable Fashion (adaptable to other products - possibly in grocery stores?)
Star rating on how sustainable and ethical a product was made
- Customer will go into clothing store and scan the barcode
- Barcode will come up with a rating (out of 5) as to how sustainably/ethically a product was made
- Criteria (Based on Baptist World Aid)
- Trace Raw Materials
- Pay Living Wage
- Listen to Workers
- Remediate Exploitation
- Use Sustainable Fibres
- Climate Commitment
This area is important/interesting to me because….
I’ve always been passionate about fashion and sustainability and it’s the area that I dream of working in in the future. I’ve seen countless stories about the detrimental effects of fast fashion, e.g. the Rana Plaza collapse and I believe that there is more that should be done and that needs to be done to redesign the way that the industry operates.
- Chrome extension
- For online shopping
- Providing alternative options
- Showing the longevity of a product