July 26, 2023
JessicaMaanya GovilAdeesh A RathodAlessandro
Potential Strategies for Successful Community Gardens in Cold and Warm Climates:
- Location Selection: In colder climates, choose sites with maximum sunlight exposure and consider windbreaks. In warmer climates, provide shaded areas and consider water-efficient irrigation systems.
- Seasonal Crop Planning: Tailor planting schedules to suit the specific climate, ensuring productive growth throughout the year.
- Greenhouse or Hoop Houses: In cold climates, using greenhouses or hoop houses can extend the growing season and protect plants from frost.
- Composting: Implementing composting systems in both cold and warm climates can enrich the soil and reduce waste.
- Rainwater Harvesting: Install rainwater harvesting systems to ensure a sustainable water supply for the garden.
Making Community Gardens Family and Community Centric:
- Family Gardening Plots: Designate specific plots for families to cultivate together, fostering a sense of togetherness and promoting intergenerational learning.
- Children's Education Programs: Offer educational programs for children, teaching them about gardening, food sources, and environmental stewardship.
- Social Events: Organize regular community events, such as potlucks or workshops, to bring people together and create a strong sense of community.
- Volunteer Opportunities: Encourage community involvement through volunteer opportunities, making it easy for people to contribute their time and skills.
- Community Partnerships: Collaborate with local schools, businesses, and organizations to engage a broader network of community members in garden-related activities.
Things we want in the community gardens
- Fencing for garden to prevent theft
- Kitchen/Cooking Classes
- Tool Shed
- Kid’s Workshops
- With Tables
- Vegetable Garden
- Compost Center
- Adult Workshops
- Elevated Beds
- Worm Farms/Beekeeping
- Berry Picking
- Surrounding crops to prevent disease
- Water Collection
- Solar Energy System
- Kitchen center
- Rainwater collection
- Berry picking
- Flower wall
- Vegetable Garden
- Tool Shed
- Kid’s workshop
- Play area
- Small trail
- Compost center
- Information desk
- Indoor garden
- Adult workshop - cooking class online using produce from garden, kimchi workshop
- Small field for picnics
- Cameras and lighting
- Irrigation system
- Donation box
- Little outdoor office workspace
- Food distribution center
- Art center
- Wine tasting
- Teaching center
- Dog park
- Flower wall for insta
- Multiple rooms for workshops (also desks in farm to have outdoor areas)
- Path for tours (with edible aspects to it for entertainment)
- Adult volunteering program for farming
- Community program for composting
- Kids volunteering/education for small gardens
- Kids activities (Daycare)
- Market for crops
- Cooking classes featuring ingredients grown in garden (needs kitchen)
- Could be online? One day pick up all the crops from garden and then do it in your own home on zoom?
- Area for pets?
- Hammocks/sitting area outside
- Indoor greenhouse + outdoor farm
- Art classes (flowers)
- Solar energy
- Water collection
- Kid classes on sustainability (pesticides)
- Large space structure
- Food, beverages bar
- Sustainability workshops centers
- Outdoor - Indoor Structure
- Agronomists and Oenologists who explain the agriculture process
- Facebook service for people who do not come to the activities
- Company center near the community garden
- Indoor places where you can try the product
- Marketing -
- Signs on streets outside - big banners to advertise community garden
- Volunteer reward initiatives
- Articles written about super active volunteers, local government rewards
- Little Critters workshops - teaching kids how to recycle, compost, water plants
- Big critters workshops/activities - DIY bouquets from grown flowers - charge?
- Workshop 1: Waste-free food lunches
- Workshop 2: Sustainability tips to save money
- Workshop 3: Sustainable fashion consumption Part 1: Crochet your own top!
- Workshop 4: Sustainable fashion consumption Part 2: DIY jewellery
- Workshop 4: Composting 101
- Worm farms
- Workshop 5: Vegan cooking class
- Fruits and vegetables for community gardens - strawberries, kale, radishes, snow peas, blueberries
- Elevated beds