Interviewing users can be tricky!
- You need to prepare and have a plan in mind -- what do you want to know?
- But you also want to allow room for spontaneous conversations that might lead to unexpected insights...
Some useful techniques include:
- Ask "why"
- Say "tell me about the last time you..."
- Encourage stories
- Look for inconsistencies
- Don't be afraid of silence
- Don't suggest answers -- don't lead the witness!
- Ask questions neutrally:
- What do you think about..."
- Not, don't you think this is great !?!
- Don't ask "Yes/No" questions -- try to evoke a story
Check out these tips for interviewing users from the d.School Bootcamp Bootleg: